In January 2010 we established a CSR Committee to ensure that CSR is an integral part of the group’s strategy and that we continue to have a positive impact on people and communities, whilst contributing to a sustainable future for our business and everyone connected to it.
The CSR Committee reports into the Audit Committee in order to ensure that our CSR strategy is closely aligned to issues such as risk management, audit and compliance.
The Committee is chaired by Mark Elliott, a G4S plc non-executive director, who has extensive experience of CSR from his 30 years in international business with global organisations such as IBM.
Duties of the CSR Committee include:
- Review the group’s CSR strategy to ensure it remains an integral part of overall strategy and to ensure group policies are aligned
- Develop and recommend policies for acceptance by Audit Committee on all CSR issues
- Review activities from executive and specialist groups managing CSR issues
- Monitor compliance with CSR policies and review performance against targets
- Review the integration of CSR policies within the broader risk management and reputation management priorities
- Develop effective, two-way communication internally on CSR issues
- Review CSR issues during M&A due diligence
- Review best practice and benchmark where appropriate
"The establishment of the CSR Committee has really helped to raise the profile of CSR both within the business and with external stakeholder groups.
The Committee has also enabled the board to have greater visibility of group level CSR related issues and strategies. We have made significant progress in some challenging areas this year and expect that momentum to continue throughout 2011."
Mark Elliot, Non-executive director and chairman of the CSR Committee